As is the trend, being a California gun owner just got more complicated again. To start off, California has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the entire nation. As gun violence and safety is a never-ending debate, there are constantly new laws and legislations being proposed and passed or rejected.
Governor Jerry Brown recently signed 6 bills that regulate the sale of ammunition, further restrict lending guns, ban large-capacity clips, and other things.
The new laws will be added onto the extensive list of existing gun laws, such as:
- All concealed weapons are banned from college campuses, including those with permits.
- You must be 18 to buy a long gun and 21 to buy a handgun.
- You may not buy more than 1 handgun per month.
- All guns must be safely and securely stored at home.
- If your weapon is lost or stolen, you must report it to the police immediately.
- If you believe your gun-owning friend or family member is dangerous, alert the police. They will seize this man or woman’s weapons for 21 days while they investigate.
- All guns must be micro-stamped.
- There is a 10 day waiting period between applying for a gun and actually receiving it.
- Guns may not be openly carried in California.
Obviously, the list is much, much longer and these are just the surface basics to know. California’s gun laws get very in-depth and if you are, or are planning, to be a gun-owner, you must know everything and you need to pass a written test.
Abusing and violating gun laws will result in arrest or worse. Depending on the situation, the arrestee may or may not be given the opportunity to bail. If he or she is granted bail, Ventura Bail Bond Store highly encourages posting bail; no matter what, if you were given that chance, take it. We believe that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and at the bail stage, they have yet to be found guilty. We believe in the right to bail. We will help anyone who can bail out do so. That includes you, or someone you know.